Meet the Governors
Welcome to our Governors’ section.
The school governors meet as a full governing body 6 times a year and cover all aspects of teaching and learning along with resources and personnel at each meeting. The main role of a governor is to support and challenge the school. It achieves this through working closely with school staff to have a clear understanding of what is going well and the areas in which the school needs to improve.
Come and meet the Governors at our school!
They have revealed a little more about themselves. If you would like to know more click on any name, you may get some surprises..........
GovernorInformation and Attendance Records
The Governing body works strategically to:
- Decide with the head, staff, pupils and parents the direction of the school through school development planning
- Focus on raising standards of achievement, establishing high expectations and promoting effective teaching and learning, so that pupils achieve their potential
- Ensure the school has clear aims and values supported by the whole school community and ensure these are evident in the school’s day to day operation
- Help to set and keep under review policies that provide a broad framework within which the Head teacher and staff should run the school
The Governing body work to support & challenge the school by:
- Recognising and celebrating the achievements of the school
- Knowing where the school is not achieving as well as it could
- Providing support and encouragement when strategies to bring about improvement are being explored
- Monitoring and evaluating how the school is progressing.
The Governors are accountable to the community. To achieve this they:
- Are required to conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement
- Have the right to discuss, question and refine proposals and should respect the professional roles of the Headteacher and other staff, and their responsibilities for the management of the school
- Must be prepared to account for the school ’s overall performance and to explain its decisions and actions to anyone who has a legitimate interest.
- The Governing Body will need to account to the whole school community for the performance of the school.
We expect all governors to be concerned and involved with the school and its activities. At the very least this means attending full Governing Body meetings and all Committee meetings where Governors have agreed to be member
Regular and consistent attendance by members at Governing Body meetings and Committees ensures that all meetings are quorate and therefore are able to make decisions. Also a variety of views can be expressed which in turn facilitates informed and effective decision – making and spreads the workload fairly amongst the Governors.
There may be times where prior arrangements, unexpected situations or ill health mean that a member cannot attend a meeting. In such cases the member must send apologies for the full Governing Body, to the Chair of Governors or Clerk, or for Committees to the Chair of the Committee prior to the meeting. A Committee Chair must apologise for absence to the Chair of Governors.
If no apology is received before the meeting then the Governors’ consent at a Full Governing Body meeting will not be given.
When a member has been absent for two consecutive meetings, the Chair or Vice-Chair of Governors / Committee will be responsible for contacting the member to find out whether the member’s absence is likely to continue and / or whether the member wishes to continue in office.
For further information on the attendance of governors please contact the Chair on Governors.